B4 DC Systems and Power Electronics
TECHNOLOGICAL FIELD OF ACTIVITY
- Direct Current equipment and systems including converter technology and semi-conductor devices.
- Power electronics for AC systems and power quality improvement, advanced power electronics and applications.
Within its technical field of activity, Study Committee B4 addresses topics throughout the asset management life-cycle phases; from conception, through research, development, design, production, deployment, operation, and end-of life. At all stages, technical, safety, economic, environmental and social aspects are addressed as well as interactions with, and integration into, the evolving power system and the environment. All aspects of performance, specification, testing and the application of testing techniques are within scope, with a specific focus on the impact of changing interactions and demands due to evolution of the power system. Life cycle assessment techniques, risk management techniques, education and training are also important aspects.
Within this framework additional specific areas of attention include:
- Theory, principles and concepts, functionality, technological development, design, performance and application of materials, efficiency.
- Manufacturing, quality assurance, application guidance, planning, routing and location, construction, erection, installation.
- Reliability, availability, dependability, maintainability and maintenance, service, condition monitoring, diagnostics, restoration, repair, loading, upgrading, uprating.
- Refurbishment, re-use/re-deployment, deterioration, dismantling, disposal.